How to Remove Mold from Walls

How to Remove Mold from Walls

Mold is one of the most common nuisances that we face in our homes. Mold can usually be found in areas where moisture is present, such as in the shower, sink and other similar places. The mold will show up as black spots on walls, decks and other places that has been exposed to moisture. If left unchecked, the mold will not only represent a danger to your residence, but to you and your family as well. Mold releases spores that cause allergic reactions which can grow in nature and lead to serious illnesses or worse.
Cleaning up mold that has established itself on the surfaces of walls is actually rather straightforward in nature if you have some common household products handy and you are proactive in spotting the mold in its early stages.
How to remove mold from walls


For the most part, identifying the typical types of mold is fairly easy to do if you carry a little bleach with you. Mold and mildew can look a lot like dirt. But if you dab a drop or two of bleach on the dark or black spots lighten considerably in a couple of minutes, then you have mildew which is the most common form of mold.
Heavy concentrations of mildew will give off a pungent, musty odor as well. You will want to look in places that have been exposed to moisture and are usually not exposed to direct sunlight. On the outside walls, look for places under roof overhangs, behind shrubs, trees and other places where mildew can grow. The sooner you can find the mildew and mold, the easier it will be to remove from your walls.

Cleaning Away the Mold and Mildew

As long as the mildew is on the surface, then you can clean it off fairly quickly by using bleach mixed with water or other use other common detergents. Remember not to mix bleach with ammonia as that can create toxic fumes which can injure when inhaled and even lead to death.
Wear a long sleeve shirt, goggles, mask and gloves before you use bleach or harsh chemical cleaners on your walls. You’ll want to rub the cleaning solution across the walls to expose all of the mold and mildew to the bleach. Leave the product on long enough to see the effects and then wipe away the remains with a dry cloth.
Remember to wipe away any moisture that you leave behind so that the mildew does not have a chance to grow back. While it takes a little time and effort, the results will be well worth it as you clean away the mold before it has a chance to dig into your home.


On outdoor walls, paint that contains mildewcide will actually kill the mold on the surface fairly quickly. However, you’ll want to expose as much of your home to sunlight as possible. This means trimming and removing bushes, grass or trees that come into contact with your home. A bush or tree that merely casts a shadow can be left alone.
A little prevention can save your walls, especially if you act quickly once you see evidence of mold or mildew.