How to Remove Mold from Wood

How to Remove Mold from Wood

When mold comes into the home it represents a real threat not only to the structure of your residence, but the health of you and your family as well. Cleaning up mold as soon as possible is a real priority because if it goes unchecked, your entire home becomes threatened.

Removing mold from wood is particularly difficult because wood has many small openings, cracks and crevices that allows mold to dig in and thrive. Fortunately, there are a number of simple chemical solutions that will destroy the mold while leaving the wood intact. Naturally, the type of chemical you choose will depend on the infestation of the mold itself.

Light Removal

If you are simply trying to remove mold from a small area, such as a single board that you want to paint for example, then you can use normal detergents as removing the mold is fairly easy. Simply spray on the detergent and wipe away the mold. You can use standard detergents if the mold has not actually penetrated the wood. As long as the mold is on the surface, you can remove it fairly quickly and easily without having to buy additional chemicals.

Deep Cleaning

However, if the mold has penetrated the wood, then you will need a chemical solution or cleaner that can actually kill the mold itself or at least inhibit its growth. Fortunately, there are several types of detergents and agents that will do the job.

Commercial Mold Removal Product: There are products that are specifically designed to kill the mold. You can mix these products with water, vinegar and baking soda so that they are even more effective in cleaning away the affected areas. Be sure to follow the directions carefully when using a professional strength cleanser.


Alcohol: Alcohol will also kill the mold on contact, although it will also evaporate rather quickly. This means that you will need to mix it with borax, baking soda or vinegar in order to maximize its effects. In this case, rubbing or denatured alcohol works quite well.

Bleach: Bleach itself is one of the most common products used to kill mold and unlike alcohol it will not evaporate, at least not that quickly. However, bleach is most effective on mold that is on the surface and has not rooted itself in the wood as the chemical composition of bleach is not absorbed by the fibers.

You will need to properly mix it with water and never mix with ammonia products as it will create toxic fumes that will cause serious injury and even death. Basically, it is simply not as good as advertised when it comes to killing mold that is rooted itself into the wood.

Whatever chemical you use to clean up the mold, be sure that you properly protect yourself with a mask, glasses and gloves so that no part of your body comes into contact with the cleaning solution, especially if you use one that is specific for killing mold.

Once the mold has been treated, be sure to dry the wood and then inspect it at a later time to ensure that all of the mold has been destroyed. If you see signs of mold growth, it is recommended that you use another type of mold cleanser or hire a professional crew to clean out the mold if it represents a threat to your home.